Okay, so this has been one of my favorite tops I've ever made for Scarlet and it was SO easy!!!
How did I do it?
- I bought a boys Old Navy tank top (it was the only thing I really liked there this year for the 4th of July and it wasn't even for girls!) for $4.99
- I then cut the shoulder straps off of it
- I sewed 2 long strips of blue polka dot material (right sides together) so the raw edges weren't exposed
- Sew one end of each strip closed
- I then sewed those 2 strips to the neck/shoulder part of the tank (right sides together)
- Now you have the halter part done and you simply have to tie a big bow around your girl's neck
- Next, fold under the cut part of the tank top and topstitch that in place (the inside of this tank isn't a pretty sight, but the outside is adorable!)
- Because this was a boys tank top, I had to "dart" the sides, but normally this isn't required (I figured this out 2 minutes before we left for the breakfast, so my darting job is beyond primative, but a perfectionist I am not!)
- Now with wrong sides together, sew a gathering stitch along the top of a long folded piece of fabric (a good rule to follow is the length should be double the length of the whole bottom of the tank) to make the ruffle
- Gather the ruffle and with right side together, sew to the bottom of the tank
- Cost $4.99 + $1.50 = $6.49 for a dang cute top!